Thursday, April 9, 2015

God is Light...(1st John 1)

1st John 1:5 "This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all."



When we walk in the Light, these things will be present:
-Practicing the truth
-Walking in the light
-Confession of our sins to Him
-Admitting that we sin
-Fellowship with one another
-Blood of Christ cleanses us from sin, not merely covering up sin.

When we do not walk in the Light, these things will be present:
-Darkness (and walking in it)
-Lying
-Not practicing the truth
-Saying we have no sin (thus deceiving ourselves, calling God a liar and not having His word in us)

This passage (1st John 1:5-10) is so full of truth that pierces my human pride. Applying this scripture is vital. I don't know about anyone else, but I NEED this scripture to become alive in me. I want to walk in the light. But if I find myself lying, I am not in the Light. If I claim to have no sin, I'm doing a world of hurt to myself and calling God a liar. Admitting my sin--acknowledging my sinfulness, looking to him for forgiveness-- is the only way out. Why? Because if you look in verse 9, it states that when we confess our sins, "he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins..." Thank God for that. I need that forgiveness every day. I fail so much on an everyday basis. But only through His grace do I have forgiveness.

But wait, there's more...

"...and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness." Clean. He makes me clean. All the dirty unrighteousness I have, can be cleansed in the blood of the Lamb, Jesus. I can't clean myself. Believe me, I've tried. And failed. But He can do what I can't. So I have to rely on Him to do what I can't. So to make it clear:

MY JOB--Confession of sin.
HIS JOB--Forgiveness of sin, cleansing from all unrighteousness.

My prayer to the Lord today is this: "Father, I have sinned in so many things, like ______. I know I have sinned, but I come to you and confess that it was me. Forgive me, cleanse me and change me, because I can't do it on my own. I need you to come in and do the work that I can't do. Please restore me to the Light so I can walk with You in the light. Thank you Lord, amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment