Saturday, March 28, 2015

Blogging the Bible, Matthew 17:4-5

Scripture:
Matt 17:4 Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it's good for us to be here! If You want, I will make three tabernacles here: one for You, one for Moses and one for Elijah."
Matt17:5 While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him. Listen to Him!"

Observation:
I find it interesting that God interrupted Peter while he still was talking. In our culture today, that would be considered to be rude. Apparently God didn't care if it was considered rude, He did it anyways. Although Peter thought he had a good idea, God the Father had a better one…instead of building tabernacles to honor Jesus, Moses and Elijah (as if they were all on the same level), He focused on only one person in that triad…Jesus. He did not say to listen to Moses (the Law, even though the Law was from God himself) or Elijah (even though he was a prophet, a mouthpiece that God used). He said to listen to Jesus, because he was the fulfillment of the Law AND the prophets. Moses and Elijah were used BY God; Jesus, however came FROM God. We need to listen to Him.

Application:
When many voices are clamoring for our attention, we need to remember the words of the Father regarding Jesus: "Listen to HIM!!!!" Don't listen to voices of advertising, culture, media, talk show hosts, etc. Don't listen to those that encourage you to sin, to eat too much, to take a drink, to have a little tryst, to lie about your whatever. Listen to Jesus, because He is the ultimate fulfillment of all that God wants to do here in the earth. He is God's son.

Prayer:
Father, I listen too often to the voices around me, to outside influences and not enough to You. Jesus, forgive me for not listening as much to you as I need to. Tune my ears to hear more clearly so I can follow You more closely. I love you Lord, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment